A creditor is able to freeze a bank account after they have obtained a judgment against the consumer.  In many instances the consumer’s first notice of a judgment entered by a creditor is a frozen bank account.  NOT all creditors, credit card companies or collection agencies follow the proper procedures to obtain a judgment and give the consumer a chance to be heard.  Once your account is frozen the only way to unfreeze the account is by court order.  The consumer should be aware that most financial institutions freeze twice the amount of the judgment.

The filing of a bankruptcy immediately stops your creditors from removing any money from the frozen account and allows the restriction on the account to be lifted.  Depending on the type of Bankruptcy case you have filed you may have immediate access to your money. 

Note: You can also vacate your default by filing an order to show cause (motion) with the court. For more information, click here. 

The important thing to remember is that all your questions on how to proceed will be answered by one of our attorneys at a consultation at one of our offices in the Bronx or Queens. Call now at 347-346-8700.